Saturday, February 18, 2012

A Good Book Has No Ending

In the heart of West Reading, Pennsylvania, situated on the 600 block of Penn Avenue, amongst other "Main Street" shops and restaurants, sits a clever shop, The Wise Owl Bookstore with a story to tell and a purpose to fulfill. 

Won't you come inside? The company is particularly warm and welcoming. 


My friend, Andrea and I just happened to be in the neighborhood and decided to have a look around. Completely unannounced and without advance notice, I approached Kira, the owner of The Wise Owl Bookstore and explained to her my project idea that I'm working on. Without a second thought, and with a lovely smile she acceptingly said, "Sure! Go ahead." I appreciate this type of openness in a business owner. I know it's going to be a good experience, and it was.



There's a little bit of everything within these walls. 
Kira is not only an eclectic buyer and seller of books, but she sells her friends' artwork, too. 
She hosts author book signings, poetry gatherings, story time for children, and a book club. She works closely in association with her neighbors that share this "Main Street" of Penn Avenue and partners with them to include enticing coupon offers and discounts. Plus, she has great taste in music! 
This lady is my kind of woman! ;)  




Kira was busily typing in her book orders along with her other tasks of the day, but she took the time to chat with us. When I asked her what her vision for her bookstore was, she openly explained that she set out to create an intimate space where people can aesthetically experience the timeless art of book browsing and reading. She feels that there is a place for the technology - all the new fangled books on computer tablets - but she also believes in the tangible, tactile sensations associated with books; the warmth they provide, the paper between your hands, the ability to bend and mark pages, the creative cover designs and beautiful bindings. She explained that she looks at a computer screen all day long, so, when she is ready to open a book to read, it's somewhat of a departure from the mainstream of technology and media, and a soothing break. ( I happily agree with you, Kira )


The lovely, well-read, Kira even gave me permission to take her photo. ( Thank you!! ) 


Did I mention that The Wise Owl has an entire room dedicated to children's literature?! 
Sweet candy for the soul!! :)



As quoted on The Wise Owl bookmark:  Our collection leans heavily on the used side, with choice new titles peppered in. We stock a slew of different genres, hardcover and paperback, with a slight preference for science fiction, mystery, the classics, and children's literature.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time amongst the many, many pages of great books and classic literature. I felt immediately at home in Kira's cozy book shop, warm space filled with goodies of many kinds, and could have hung out a whole lot longer - just browsing her shelves, looking at the artwork, running my fingers over the words written so well and published for all to share. I will certainly be a returning customer to The Wise Owl. I even found the perfect birthday gifts for my niece's upcoming birthday! No hints or clues as to what they could be, right? *wink* ;) 

When you are ready for a new or pre-read book; or happen by chance to be in the West Reading neighborhood, please do make it a point to stop by The Wise Owl Bookstore and tell Kira I said "Hi!" Thank you, Kira for allowing my dear friend and I the opportunity to photograph, discuss, ponder over, and feel the warmth of your clever bookstore. I wish you much success and best wishes with your dreams, always. 

As we were departing, I caught notice of some framed artwork that read:
"~ A special Irish blessing from the heart of a friend ~  
May good fortune be yours, may your joys never end." 


Happy reading! 

Bye for now,
Barb

4 comments:

  1. wonderful story! love kira and what she is up to in her cozy bookstore. keep up the great work. i enjoy life through your lens. phoebe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly, Phoebe!! I appreciate your supportive words of encouragement. :)

      Delete
  2. Again, you show me another hidden treasure. You are meant for this, your words and photos are just beautiful. I just said the other day while holding my Kindle that I miss the feel of the paper, the smell of the ink. Thank you Barb, your hard work is much appreciated!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ever kindly, Denean for your terrific comment, encouragement, and friendship! I can't wait to add more adventures in Focus on Local here on my blog!! It's been an inspiring ride so far! Well worth it. Thank you again. :)

      Delete