Monday, February 27, 2012

The Sweet Life

My favorite guy and I took a Sunday drive yesterday.  The air was crisp, still and the sun was shining bright - the perfect recipe for a road trip and new explorations of our local economy. Luckily, we did not need to go too far to reach our destination, but we did take the longer, more scenic ride for good measure. 

We found our destination, J Maki Winery situated on a back road in Elverson, PA, just off Rte. 23 in Chester County, surrounded by horse farms, barns and antiquated homes made of stone, mortar and saturated with memories, history, simpler times long gone.  

I had been curious to visit this winery ever since my folks told me about it over a year ago, and, fortunate for me, shared some of their delicious wine, too. Yum!


As we reached the door to enter, a lively, happy group of people were leaving. They said to us, "You won't be disappointed." :) And we indeed were not. 


The owner, Jim Maki greeted us with warmth and kindness. A very knowledgeable man of the world. The sort of person that knows what he wants in life, and goes after it. He also knows the value of hard work, stout dedication and resolute commitment to this love of wine and champagne making that he and his wife, Janet share. He explained to my husband and I how each vine must be thoughtfully, carefully pruned in preparation for the growing season soon to be. Jim also stated with a precise pledge how imperative it is to work with the land, with mother nature, and with the seasons of time.  

After tasting some of his beloved sweet delights, I am convinced he knows what he's talking about!


Jim was most hospitable and friendly, and even allowed me to take his photo! ( Thank you! ) He was also quite open to my project of focusing on local economies, and even said with a grin, "Oh yea, [going local] is the new trend." He made us feel welcome and answered my silly questions with grace and optimism. A gentleman through and through. 


Jim and Janet Maki's winery has "crafted the only American Champagne to ever be awarded the gold medal from the Olympics of wine competitions, the Vinalies Internationales in Paris, France." A most prestigious honor to be endowed with, and they are very proud of it - with good cause I'd say!! Wow!! 


Here's a quote from J. Maki Winery's wine/champagne list that I thought you might enjoy: 
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." 
~ John Maynard Keynes ~


Jim reiterated that he and his wife, Janet have built their dream of wine and champagne crafting with a sound commitment to aesthetics. Every tiny detail matters. The addition that they had built onto their barn was created with a pleasing architectural sensibility and creative space. The windows, lighting, textures, exposed wooden beams, were all chosen with great care. The placement of tables, decorative art and objects, and even their lovely plants were all mindfully placed with regards to expressing beauty. I believe they have achieved their dream goal.

I could not help but notice the attention to every last detail and could have easily stayed all afternoon photographing; savoring the beautiful environment, and talking "shop" with Mr. Maki, while attempting to absorb all there is to know about wine and champagne.      


As quoted from J. Maki Winery's brochure:
Thirty two acres of south facing slope with elevation, in Chester County, have spawned America's signature Champagne and Ice Wine. From well drained schist soil atop limestone, ideally suited for wine grapes, the J. Maki Winery has … [married] great wine with a great aesthetic in order to create a memorable experience on many levels. 

In my opinion, they have achieved their well-deserved reputation of fine wine/champagne making with an earnest determination for the sweet life. I will savor this local experience with favorable memories, and thank you profusely, Jim Maki for stirring my senses with the utmost in high standards. I raise my glass to toast you, J. Maki Winery - Here's to your continued success,  succulent, productive vineyards, and outstanding wine. Cheers, friends!

Until we meet again, 
 Bye for now,
Barb

P.s. When you stop in for your wine & champagne tasting and purchases, please be sure to tell Jim & Janet that you read this blog post! ;) Thanks, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment