Sunday, February 5, 2012

Let the Projects BEGIN!

At the edge of Lancaster County, just off Route 10 in Morgantown PA (1/2 mile south of Rte 23), and situated back a long, winding lane sits a small gem of a farm store.

The folks here like to keep things simple, and in their 35 years of doing business, they have yet to advertise on any sort of large scale means. Instead, they have relied on word of mouth, and valued return customers.  


 
I was warmly greeted by the animals with an eager, inquisitive nature. 


I was especially, warmly greeted by the man himself - the owner - Mr. Paul Hartz. Although he was a bit reluctant to have his picture taken, he allowed me the honor, eventually. 

He was busy tending to his farm equipment when I arrived, but he graciously took some time out to chat with me. We talked about farming practices and his beautiful bovine. He expressed a subtle, yet intensely urgent concern for humanity as we know it. We talked about how seeds are being genetically engineered (or GMOs as they are referred to - Genetically Modified Organisms) to alter their very core purpose, so as to fit into what is believed by some to be beneficial to the future of food. These seeds (or GMOs) grow into large crops that are no longer a derivative of biodiversity in the natural world, instead they are manufactured in labs so as to produce insect, drought resistant plants to be sold to farmers in mass quantities. But what you don't always hear about is how resistant these plants become, and the scientists have to run back into their labs to make even stronger versions of the GMO seeds. These GMOs are heavily inherent with herbicides and pesticides (toxic poisons) that guess who ingests at most every meal . . . yep, we do!! Unless, of course, you are growing your own food from organic seeds or purchasing non-GMO foods. 

Okay, I'll get off my soap box now and get back to this haven of natural and organic food offerings! 
(Sorry for the rant, but this GMO stuff gets me in a tizzy!!) 

Onwards and upwards, as they say…
Come inside! Grab a basket or cart and begin your shopping experience . . .
The staff (and patrons) are friendly people that like to help, lend an ear, offer advice, and 
encourage healthy eating and lifestyles…









 These ladies were great to me! Thank you Anita and Jan for allowing me to hang around your beautiful store while I photographed "stuff," chatted, shopped and basically nosed around. ;) Your insights were charming and patient. I am truly grateful. Thank you.
And here is another really great part of the Hartz Natural Food store ~ their ever growing and expanding greenhouses and gardens filled with tasty treats of lovely certified organic vegetables. Mr. Hartz couldn't help but glow with pride when he mentioned his partner, Erica. Unfortunately, I didn't get to chat directly with Erica this time around, but I have been fortunate enough to meet her a few times at the local Elverson Farmer's Market (just off Rte 23 behind the car wash and the bank), which runs from May to September, as well as at the farm store itself. 
Erica and Mr. Hartz combined efforts to start B & H Organic Produce
As quoted from their brochure:

"B & H grows a wide variety of produce including; green beans, tomatoes, peppers, beets, carrots, squash, fresh cut flowers, and much more. Being certified organic means that there are no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers used in the growing practices. B & H takes 'organic' a step further by concentrating on building up our soil in order to give our plants the healthiest growing conditions, and to ensure the highest quality and best taste." 

Be sure to check out their website and subscribe by email to their mailing list for local happenings in and around Morgantown. For more info, please click on their link - http://www.bhorganicproduce.com/

I couldn't have enjoyed my Saturday morning, which turned into afternoon, more than by starting this project idea of mine at a local favorite business, Hartz Natural Food Store. The company was interesting, educational, warm and heartily full of "flavor." I purchased some great, wholesome items to share with my family - items that I don't worry about being polluted with toxic chemicals. After all, my children are in my care only for a short time (don't I know how fast the time goes, and they grow!) and I want them to have the best that life can offer.

I hope you will stop by, make your organic purchases of meats and veggies, and please be sure to tell them that you saw this blog post!! Tell them that that nice lady with the camera asking all the questions says "hi." (smile!)

If you enjoyed this blog and are interested in sharing a local, favorite small business of your own that I may highlight as one of my projects, please do leave me a comment, or send me an email (my3girlsphotography@gmail.com). I welcome your comments, questions, and suggestions. Thank you.

Bye for now, friends.
~ Barb ~ 


May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be ever at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face and the rain fall softly on your fields. 
And until we meet again, May God hold you in the hollow of his hand. 
~ Irish Blessing ~
  

10 comments:

  1. Very well done Barb! You certainly have a way with words and with a camera! Draws you in, holds your interest and entices you!!! So very proud of you honey! btw, the chips are delish and I really like them!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for leaving such a glowing comment, Mom! *blush* Glad you enjoyed your goodies! love you, always.

      Delete
  2. What an awesome shoot !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dave! Thank you for your kind comment. I appreciate your support and encouragement, friend!! :)

      Delete
  3. Very nicely done, Barb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret! Thank you for stopping by, friend! And thank you for your compliment, too. :)

      Delete
  4. Barb, this is wonderful! I am always looking for places to buy organic produce and meats. I have passed this sign many times and without you would never have known what a treasure lies behind it! Thank you for time and effort - looking forward to more posts!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denean! Thank you kindly, my friend. I am very happy that you and I have crossed paths. I feel a kindred spirit in you. When you stop by Hartz's be sure to say "Hi!" for me. Thanks again!! :)

      Delete
  5. Beautifully done! Fantastic photos, fantastic writing, and I love, love, that store! Coincidentally, my cousin Penny worked there for many years!

    Keep at it sistafriend! You are doing this, and doing it SO well! <3
    Nicki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicki!! So wonderful to hear from you, sistafriend! I have been missing you. I am grateful you stopped by my little project blog of mine. ;) I'm having lots of fun with this! Can you tell?! I had a feeling you might recognize this store. So glad it brings you fond memories. Love to you and your family.

      Delete